V.V. Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. Sapozhnikov, D.V. Efanov
Èlektron. model. 2017, 39(4):69-88
The paper deals with two ways of code formation with summation; these codes have the minimumnumber of undetectable errors in data vectors and the same number of check bits as Berger’s classic codes. These ways are based on the weighing the bits and transitions between bits taking adjacent positions in the data vectors using natural sequence of weight factors forming a natural number series. Some key error detection features in data vectors of these codes are analyzed; they show the difference of these codes from the Berger codes and their known modifications. Efficiency of the developed codes under the control of errors which appear at the circuit output is shown on the basis of experiments with the monitoring combination circuits.
discrete devices, technical diagnostics, Berger code, modified Berger code, error detection.
1. McCluskey, E.J. (1986), Logic design principles: with emphasis on testable semicustom circuits, Prentice Hall PTR, New Jersey, USA.
2. Sogomonyan, E.S. and Slabakov, E.V. (1989), Samoproveryaemye ustroystva i otkazoustoychivye sistemy [Self-checking devices and fault-tolerant systems], Radio i svyaz, Moscow, USSR.
3. Sapozhnikov, V.V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. (1992), Samoproveryaemye diskretnye ustroistva [Self-checking discrete devices], Energoatomizdat, St. Petersburg, Russia.
4. Hurst, S.L. (1998), VLSI testing: digital and mixed analogue/digital techniques (circuits, devices and systems series), 1st edition, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, London, UK.
5. Nicolaidis, M. and Zorian, Y. (1998), On-line testing for VLSI – a compendium of Approaches, Journal of Electronic Testing: Theory and Applications, no. 12, pp. 7-20.
6. Mitra, S. and McCluskey, E.J. (2000), Which concurrent error detection scheme to choose?, Proceedings of International Test Conference, 2000, USA, Atlantic City, NJ, October, 03-05, 2000, pp. 985-994.
7. Matrosova, A., Levin, I. and Ostanin, S.A. (2000), Self-checking synchronous FSM network design with low overhead, VLSI Design, Vol. 11, Iss. 1, pp. 47-58.
8. Lala, P.K. (2001), Self-checking and fault-tolerant digital design, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, USA.
9. Dong, H. (1984), Modified Berger codes for detection of unidirectional errors, IEEE Transaction on Computers, Vol. C-33, pp. 572-575.
10. Nikolos, D. (1990), Invited paper t-symmetric and d-unidirectional (d > t) error-detecting cyclic AN arithmetic codes, Intern. Journal of Electronics, Vol. 68, Iss. 1, pp. 1-22. DOI: 10.1080/00207219008921143.
11. Jha, N.K. (1991), Totally self-checking checker designs for Bose-Lin, Bose and Blaum codes, IEEE Transaction on Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 10, Iss. 1, pp. 136-143. DOI 10.1109/43.62799.
12. Piestrak, S.J. (1995), Design of self-testing checkers for unidirectional error detecting codes. Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wroclavskiej, Wroclaw, Poland.
13. Jha, N.K. and Gupta, S. (2003), Testing of digital systems, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
14. Fujiwara, E. (2006), Code design for dependable systems: Theory and practical applications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA.
15. Mekhov, V.B., Sapozhnikov, V.V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. (2008), “Control of combinational circuits basing onmodified sum codes”, Avtomatika i telemekhanika, no. 8, pp. 153-165.
16. Piestrak, S.J., Pillement, S. and Sentieys, O. (2010), Designing efficient codes for bus-invert Berger code for fully asymmetric communication, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 57, Iss. 10, pp. 777-781. DOI: 10.1109/TCSII.2010.2067773.
17. Efanov, D., Sapozhnikov, V., Sapozhnikov, Vl. and Blyudov, A. (2013), On the problem of selection of code with summation for combinational circuit test organization, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE East-West Design & Test Symposium (EWDTS`2013), Rostov-on-Don, Russia, September 27-30, 2013, pp. 261-266. DOI 10.1109/EWDTS.2013.6673133.
18. Dinesh Babu, N. and Ramani, G. (2014), Checkbit prediction for logic functions by using Dong’s code method, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Vol. 3, Iss. 11, pp. 946-949.
19. Chaithra, V. and Nataraj Urs, H.D. (2016), Enhanced stuck at zero and stuck at one fault identification in NOC routers, International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Vol. 5, Iss. 4, pp. 2946-2955. DOI:10.15662/IJAREEIE.2016.0504147.
20. Berger, J.M. (1961), A note on error detecting codes for asymmetric channels, Information and Control, Vol. 4, Iss. 1, pp. 68-73. DOI: 10.1016/S0019-9958(61)80037-5.
21. Busaba, F.Y. and Lala, P.K. (1994), Self-checking combinational circuit design for single and unidirectional multibit errors, Journal of Electronic Testing: Theory and Applications, Vol. 5, Iss. 5, pp. 19-28.
22. Matrosova, A.Yu. and Ostanin, S.A. (1998), Self-checking synchronous sequential circuit design for unidirectional error, Proceedings of the IEEE European Test Workshop (ITW’98), May 27-29, 1998, Sitges, Barcelona, Spain.
23. Morosow, A., Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. and G oessel, M. (1998), Self-Checking Combinational Circuits with Unidirectionally Independent Outputs, VLSI Design, Vol. 5, Iss. 4, pp. 333-345.
24. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Morosov, A., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. andG oessel,M. (1998), Anew design method for self-checking unidirectional combinational circuits, Journal of Electronic Testing: Theory and Applications, Vol. 12, Iss. 1-2, pp. 41-53.
25. Gessel, M., Ocheretny, V., Sogomonyan, E. and Marienfeld, D. (2008), New methods of concurrent checking: Edition 1, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., Dodrecht, Germany.
26. Efanov, D.V., Sapozhnikov, V.V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. (2010), “On sum code properties in concurrent error detection systems, Avtomatika i telemekhanika, no. 6, pp. 155-162.
27. Blyudov, A.A., Efanov, D.V., Sapozhnikov, V.V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. (2012), “Formation of the Berger modified code with minimum number of undetectable errors of data bits”, Elektronnoe modelirovanie, Vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 17-29.
28. Blyudov, A.A., Efanov, D.V., Sapozhnikov, V.V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. (2014), “On codes with summation of data bits in concurrent error detection systems, Avtomatika i telemekhanika, no. 8, pp. 131-145.
29. Sapozhnikov, V., Sapozhnikov, Vl., Efanov, D. and Blyudov, A. (2014), On the Synthesis of Unidirectional Combinational Circuits Detecting All Single Faults, Proceedings of the 12th IEEE East-West Design & Test Symposium (EWDTS`2014), Kyiv, Ukraine, September 26-29, 2014, pp. 116-125. DOI 10.1109/EWDTS.2014.7027056.
30. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. and Efanov, D.V. (2014), “Formation of codes with summation with the smallest number of undetectable errors of data bits”, Radioelektronika i informatika, no. 4, pp. 46-55.
31. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. and Efanov, D.V. (2016), “Checking of combinational circuits based on sum codes with one weighed data bit”, Avtomatika na transporte, Vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 564-597.
32. Berger, J.M. (1961), A note on burst detection sum codes, Information and Control, Vol. 4, Iss. 2-3, ðp. 297-299. DOI: 10.1016/S0019-9958(61)80024-7.
33. Das, D. and Touba, N.A. (1999), Weight-based codes and their application to concurrent error detection of multilevel circuits, Proceedings of 17th IEEE Test Symposium, USA, California, April 25-29, 1999, pp. 370-376.
34. Sapozhnikov, V. and Sapozhnikov, Vl. (1999), New code for fault detection in logic circuits, Proceedings of the 4th Intern. Conf. on Unconventional Electromechanical and Electrical Systems, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 21-24, 1999, pp. 693-696.
35. Das, D., Touba, N.A., Seuring, M. and Goessel,M. (2000), Low cost concurrent error detection based on modulo weight-based codes, Proceedings of IEEE 6th International On-Line Testing Workshop (IOLTW), Spain, Palma de Mallorca, July 3-5, 2000, pp. 171-176.
36. Mehov, V., Sapozhnikov, V., Sapozhnikov, Vl. and Urganskov, D. (2007), Concurrent error detection based on new code with modulo weighted transitions between information bits, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE East-West Design &Test Workshop (EWDTW`2007), Erevan, Armenia, September 25-30, 2007, pp. 21-26.
37. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V., Efanov, D.V. and Dmitriev, V.V. (2017), “New structures of the concurrent error detection systems for logic circuits”, Avtomatika i telemekhanika, no. 2, pp. 127-143.
38. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V., Efanov, D.V. and Nikitin, D.A. (2015) “Modulo weighted code with summation for the systems of technical diagnosis”, Informatika i sistemy upravleniya, no. 3, pp. 53-62.
39. Sapozhnikov, V., Sapozhnikov, Vl., Efanov, D. et al. (2015), Optimum sum codes, that effectively
detect the errors of low multiplicities, Radioelectronics and Informatics, no. 1, pp. 17-22.
40. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. and Efanov, D.V. (2015), “Errors classification in information vectors of systematic codes”, Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedeniy. Priborostroenie, Vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 333-343.
41. Collection of digital design benchmarks, available at: http://ddd.fit.cvut.cz/prj/ Benchmarks/.
42. Yang, S. (1991), Logic synthesis and optimization benchmarks: User Guide: Version 3.0, Microelectronics Center of North Carolina (MCNC), USA.
43. Sapozhnikov, V.V., Sapozhnikov, Vl.V. and Efanov, D.V. (2015), “Application of sum codes for synthesis of railway automation and remote control at programmable logic integrated circuits”, Avtomatika na transporte, Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 84-107.