V.V. Stanytsina, V.O. Artemchuk, O.Yu. Bogoslavska
Èlektron. model. 2021, 43(5):55-72
The article provides an overview of approaches to greenhouse gas emissions taxation and taxThe article provides an overview of approaches to greenhouse gas emissions taxation and taxrates in European countries. To compare heated boilers with different characteristics, whichrun on different fuels the average cost of thermal energy for the life cycle LCOH was used.Environmental tax on environmental pollution (as a component of LCOH) is calculated for thethree most common types of boilers in Ukrainian boilers with a capacity of 4.65 to 58 MW,burning natural gas, coal, and fuel oil, as well as for low-power boilers (0.5 and 1 MW ), burningfossil fuels and biofuels. The eco-tax for biofuel boilers is calculated under current taxationand subject to the adoption of a European approach to taxation of carbon dioxide emissions. Itis established that at the current rates there are almost no economic incentives for the introductionof technologies to reduce the concentration of pollutants in emissions, but increasing therates of environmental tax may change this situation. However, provided that rates are evenlyincreased for all types of boilers, the eco-tax for natural gas boilers will remain the lowest,while for biofuel boilers it will increase significantly, which contradicts the stated goal of decarbonizingthe economy. It is shown that not only the change of environmental tax rates canbe an effective tool for achieving the goals of sustainable development, as the principles of itsadministration are also important.
environmental tax, greenhouse gases, thermal energy, biofuels, fossil fuels.
- Rydzewski, P. (2020), “Between economy and security. dilemmas of sustainable developmentin the COVID-19 era — an example of Great Britain”, Problemy Ekorozwoju,Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 15-21.
- Law of Ukraine “On Ratification of the Association Agreement between Ukraine, of theone part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community and theirMember States, of the other part” of September 16, 2014 № 1678-VII, available at:https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1678-18#Text (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Law of Ukraine “On Ratification of the Protocol on the Accession of Ukraine to the Treatyestablishing the Energy Community” of December 15, 2010 № 2787-VI, available at:https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2787-17#Text (accessed June 23, 2021).
- National plan to reduce emissions from large combustion plants. Order of the Cabinet ofMinisters of Ukraine of November 8, 2017 № 796-r, available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/ laws/show/796-2017-%D1%80#Text (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Directive (EU) 2015/2193 of the European Parliament and of the Council of November25, 2015 on the limitation of emissions of certain pollutants into the air from mediumcombustion plants, available at: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32015L2193 (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Tax Code of Ukraine, available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2755-17 (accessedJune 23, 2021).
- Commission notice. Guidelines on state aid for environmental protection and energy developmentfor 2014-2020, available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_ 009-14#Text (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Carbon Taxes in Europe in 2019, of November 14, 2019, available at: https:// taxfoundation.org/carbon-taxes-in-europe-2019/ (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Climate change legislation in Finland. An excerpt from the 2015 Global Climate LegislationStudy. A review of climate change legislation in 99 countries, available at:https://www.lse.ac.uk/GranthamInstitute/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FINLAND.pdf (accessedJune 23, 2021).
- Carbon Taxes in Europe in 2020 of October 08, 2020, available at: https:// taxfoundation.org/carbon-taxes-in-europe-2020/ (accessed June 23, 2021).
- The draft law on exemption of biofuels from the CO2 tax is another step for the developmentof Ukrainian bioenergy - the State Agency for Energy Efficiency of October 10,2020, Government portal, available at: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/news/zakonoproektshchodo-zvilnennya-biopaliva-vid-podatku-so2-shche-odin-krok-dlya-rozvitku-ukrayinskoyi-bioenergetiki-derzhenergoefektivnosti (accessed June 23, 2021).
- State Energy Efficiency: The draft law on exemption of biofuels from the tax on CO2emissions is another incentive for investment in bioenergy of September 04, 2021, availableat: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/news/derzhenergoefektivnosti-zakonoproekt-shchodozvilnennya-biopaliva-vid-podatku-za-vikidi-so2-shche-odin-stimul-dlya-investicij-v-bioenergetiku(accessed June 23, 2021).
- The concept of "green" energy transition of Ukraine until 2050, available at: https://mepr.gov.ua/news/34424.html (accessed June 23, 2021).
- What will the decarbonisation rate mean for renewable energy investments? of January 03,2021, available at: https://vkp.ua/publication/shcho-oznachatime-kurs-na- dekarbonizatsiyu-dlya-investitsiy-u-vidnovlyuvalnu-energetiku (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Strategy of low-carbon development of Ukraine until 2050. Project 2018, available at:https:// mepr.gov.ua/files/docs/Proekt/LEDS_ua_last.pdf (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Maliarenko, O., Horskyi, V., Stanytsina, V.,·Bogoslavska, O. and·Kuts, H. (2020), “AnImproved Approach to Evaluation of the Efficiency of Energy Saving Measures Based onthe Indicator of Products Total Energy Intensity. Studies in Systems”, Decision and Control,Vol. 298, pp. 201-216.
- Bogoslavska, O., Stanytsina, V., Artemchuk, V., Garmata, O. and Lavrinenko, V. (2021),“Comparative Efficiency Assessment of Using Biofuels in Heat Supply Systems by LevelizedCost of Heat into Account Environmental Taxes”, Studies in Systems, Decision andControl, Vol. 346, pp. 167-185.
- Stanytsina, V., Artemchuk, V., Bogoslavska, O., Ridei, N. and Zinovieva, I. (2021), “Theinfluence of environmental tax rates on the Levelized cost of heat on the example of organicand biofuels boilers in Ukraine”, E3S Web of Conferences 280, 09012 (2021).
- Foumani, M. and Smith-Miles, K. (2019), “The impact of various carbon reduction policieson green flowshop scheduling”, Applied Energy, Vol. 249, pp. 300-315
- Nong, D. (2020), “Development of the electricity-environmental policy CGE model(GTAP-E-PowerS): A case of the carbon tax in South Africa”, Energy Policy, Vol. 140,no. 111375.
- Kondo, R., Kinoshita, Y. and Yamada, T. (2019), “Green Procurement Decisions withCarbon Leakage by Global Suppliers and Order Quantities under Different Carbon Tax”,Sustainability, Vol. 11, no. 13.
- Streimikiene, D., Siksnelyte, I., Zavadskas, E. and Cavallaro, F. (2018), “The Impact ofGreening Tax Systems on Sustainable Energy Development in the Baltic States”, Energies,Vol. 11, no. 5.
- Baez, M.J. and Larriba Martínez, T. (2015), Technical Report on the Elaboration of a CostEstimation Methodology. No. D.3.1, Creara, Madrid, Spain.
- Projected Costs of Generating Electricity (2010). International Energy Agency (IEA).
- Kuts, G.O., Stanytsina, V.V. and Kobernik, V.S. (2016), “Comparative estimate of thecost of thermal energy from the operating and projected heat-generating sources for thesystems of heat supply of Ukraine”, Problemy zahalnoyi enerhetyky, Vol. 3, no. 46,pp. 12-18.
- Draft Law № 2367-1 of November 18, 2019 “On Amendments to the Tax Code ofUkraine to Increase Environmental Tax Rates and Implement European Principles ofModernization of Ukrainian Industry”, available at: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=67431 (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Draft Law № 2367 of November 1, 2019 “On Amendments to the Tax Code of Ukraine toIncrease Environmental Tax Rates for Additional Measures to Promote Health and ImproveHealth Care of Citizens of Ukraine”, available at: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=67260 (accessed June 23, 2021).
- Stanytsina, V., Kuts, G., Teslenko, O. and Malyarenko, O. (2020), “Comparative analysisof the average cost of heat energy produced in boilers of different power, taking into accountthe environmental component”, Enerhotekhnolohiyi ta resursozberezhennya, Vol. 2,pp. 55-62.