Èlektron. model. 2018, 41(2):97-110
Attacking global routing is capable of harming millions of network devices (and also users) withAttacking global routing is capable of harming millions of network devices (and also users) withmuch less effort than the well-known DDoS or ransomware attacks. Since route hijacking can’tbe fully mitigated, minimizing the risk is an actual problem. Relying on actual world practices ofrisk management, in this paper author offers some new theoretical approaches of identificationand evaluation of route hijacking risk. Earlier, we have proceeded through ISO Guide 73:2009“Risk Management – Vocabulary” to tie-up to the commonly used methodical approach for riskmanagement. In this paper we provide a classic STRIDE approach to routing security threatsclassification, and DREAD model to assess each threat of STRIDE acronym. Using such two-dimensionalmeasuring, we achieved a numerically expressed impact of each threat on aggregatedrisk evaluation.
global routing, route hijacking, cyberattack, risk assesment, threats evaluation.
2. Zubok, V. (2018), “Determining the ways of counteraction to cyberattacks on the Internetglobal routing”, Elektronne modelyuvannya, Vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 67-76.
3. “History of some BGP hijack, or whether it is necessary to filter fill-view from uplinks”, availableat: https://nag.ru/articles/article/101232/istoriya-odnogo-bgp-hijack-ili-neobhodimo-lifiltrovat-full-view-ot-aplinkov.html (accessed January 21, 2019).
4. “Internet Vulnerability Takes Down Google”, available at: https://blog.thousandeyes.com/internet-vulnerability-takes-down-google/ (accessed January 20, 2019).
5. “China Telecom's Internet Traffic Misdirection”, available at: https://internetintel.oracle.com/blog-single.html?id=China+Telecom%27s+Internet+Traffic +Misdirection (accessed January,2019).
6. Kohnfelder, L. and Garg, P. (1999), “The threats to our products”, available at: https://adam.shostack.org/microsoft/The-Threats-To-Our-Products.docx (accessed January 20, 2019).
7. Howard, M. and LeBlanc, D. (2003), Writing Secure Code, 2nd edition, Microsoft Press,Redmond, USA.
8. Zubok, V. and Mokhor, V. (2018), “Exploring the relations between topology and securityrisk of cybernetic attacks on global Internet routing”, Modelyuvannya ta informatsiyni teckhnologii,Vol. 85, pp. 23-26.